AZP News

 Increase in Number of Female Deaths to Covid-19

Increase in Number of Female Deaths to Covid-19

Share
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

By Sue-Ann Wayow

THERE is now an almost equal number of males and females dying as a result of Covid-19.

Epidemiologist Dr Avery Hinds gave a breakdown of the type of patients contracting the virus at the Ministry of Health’s virtual media conference on Wednesday.

As at Tuesday evening, the Ministry of Health had reported 185 deaths.

At the conference, there was heavy emphasis on adherence to health protocols as health officials said asymptomatic carriers of the virus can spread Covid-19 without the awareness of doing so.

Dr Hinds said it was now nearly 50/50 in terms of male and female proportion with more people in the 25 to 49 years  age group becoming infected and also dying.

Dr Avery Hinds

He said, “Looking at the deaths from just the last week or so, April 25 to May 4 where we saw about 26 deaths, two things have come on stream. One is that there are more women proportionally than what we were seeing before, where one quarter of the patients passing on were women and three quarters being men.”

https://www.pestextt.com/

Showing the information using graphs, Dr Hinds said 46.2% of patients who died during that period were women with the other 53.8% being men.

The second contributing factor was that younger people were dying and showed no signs of comorbidities.

“No one should take it for granted that if they get Covid, they will be okay,” he said.

Overall, 71.9% males died as a result of Covid-19 while 28.1% females passed on, Dr Hinds indicated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *