By Sue-Ann Wayow
THERE is a new procedure for secondary school pupils requesting transfers.
The Ministry of Education has put a transfer committee in place.
The ministry posted details of the new arrangements on its Facebook page this week stating that the committee with the approval of the Permanent Secretary was commissioned to deal with Form One transfers based on the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) placement.
The ministry stated, “Transfers shall be granted based on performance on the SEA, proximity of residence to school of choice, humanitarian need, special education needs and the availability of spaces at the requested schools.”
There are five steps for parents to follow.
- First, applications forms for the purpose of the transfer of Form One students can be obtained from the secondary school to which the pupil is assigned base on the SEA placement;
- These forms are to be completed and submitted on the day of registration, only after the pupil has been registered at the school in which they have been placed;
- The completed transfer forms are then to be signed by that school’s principal and submitted to the respective Education District Office to be forwarded to the Ministry of Education for processing;
- Once granted, a letter of approval for transfer addressed to the parent/guardian is signed by the Chief Education Officer and copied to the relevant principals and school supervisors III; and
- And upon receipt of that letter, the pupil must be immediately registered at the school to which he or she has been transferred, the ministry stated.
Teachers being vaccinated
On Wednesday, the ministry began its drive to have persons in the education sector vaccinated.
All teaching and non-teaching staff are being encouraged to take the Covid-19 vaccine as Government is hoping to re-open in-person classes in September.
Students over the age of 18 are also asked to become vaccinated and the parents of those students are asked to contact the school’s principal to register.
The ministry stated that staff who wish to get their Covid-19 shot are advised to contact their principals, heads of department or check their work email to register and make an appointment with the Ministry of Health at the various vaccination sites listed.