By Sue-Ann Wayow
TWO men in separate incidents were arrested for sexually assaulting girls ages 12 and under.
A 38-year-old man was expected to appear on Monday before a Sangre Grande Magistrate charged with sexual offences against three female minors ages six, ten and 12.
The man was held during a sting operation in the Eastern Division over the weekend.
Police reported that on Friday, Eastern Division warrant officers, acting on information, arrested the suspect who has been hiding since May this year.
It is alleged that on April 12, 2020 two of the victims, ages six and ten, were taken to a river to bathe by a man who is known to the family.
While at the river, the victims told police that the man allegedly sexually assaulted the six-year-old in the presence of the ten-year-old and then masturbated in their presence.
A report was subsequently made to the Eastern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU) and a joint investigation by WPC Charles and PC Joseph was immediately commenced.
Further investigations revealed that a 12-year-old female relative of the two girls, had been having sex with the suspect against her will since March 2020.
The suspect, upon learning that the CPU was in pursuit of him, fled and had been in hiding.
He was arrested and was jointly charged by WPC Charles and PC Joseph with three counts of sexual penetration of a child, one count of sexual touching of a child and one count of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
In the other incident, a 51-year-old taxi driver was arrested for sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl.
He was expected to appear before a Sangre Grande Magistrate on Monday to answer to two counts of sexual touching of a child.
The suspect was arrested by officers of the Eastern Division on Saturday.
Police reported that on July 25, Eastern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU) officers were alerted to a report of abuse of a 12-year-old girl by a man.
The victim told the police that while her mother was at work a man entered her bedroom and sexually assaulted her.
WPC La Fortune of the Eastern CPU launched enquiries into the report and on Saturday, Eastern Division warrant officers found the suspect during a sting operation.
The suspect was arrested and charged with two counts of sexual touching of a child.
The investigations were headed Supt (Ag) George, ASP (Ag) Sookdeo and supervised by W/Insp (Ag) Bain-Keller.
Also in Sangre Grande, a father was arrested for dealing blows to his sons ages seven and nine.
The 33-year-old man was expected to appear before a Sangre Grande Magistrate on Monday charged with two counts of cruelty to two children.
The suspect was arrested on Friday by officers of the Eastern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU) following a report made by the children’s mother earlier this year.
On March 6, a woman reported to Eastern CPU officers that she had been allegedly subjected to abuse at the hands of her husband for years.
She informed officers that she told her husband she would leave him. According to the woman, the man then allegedly took out his anger on their children, two boys, ages seven and nine.
The boys were dealt several blows about their face causing severe swelling.
WPC La Fortune of the Eastern Division CPU conducted enquires into the report which led to the arrest of the suspect during an intelligence-led exercise in the Division over the weekend.
During anti-crime exercises on Saturday in Sangre Grande, a homemade shotgun and a quantity of ammunition were discovered by officers of the Emergency Response Patrol Unit (ERP).
Officers acting on information, proceeded to Kowlessar Road, Coalmine, Sangre Grande, where they found and seized one homemade shotgun and 20 rounds of 12-gauge cartridges behind an abandoned shack on the roadside, hidden in some bushes.
No one was arrested in connection with the find.
Additionally police has thanked the public for assisting in the capturing of three men: Joshua Deonarine aka Ketchup of Arena Road, Freeport, Pretam Ramsaran aka ‘Boy Boy’ from Uquire Road, Freeport and Jeremy Tacklal aka ‘Madman’ of Dow Village, California.
And five Venezuelan nationals were rescued while fishing in Buccoo, Tobago.
Of the five persons, two were undocumented and further inquiries are ongoing to acquire the status of a third.
Police reported that at around 3.15 p.m. on Sunday two fishermen from Buccoo, Tobago, were both fishing off Buccoo Point, Tobago, in separate vessels, when they observed another fishing vessel registered as ‘Moon Shadow’, with several passengers on board, in difficulty.
They then observed the Moon Shadow overturn. The fishermen aided the individuals of the boat and brought them to safety, along with their fishing gear.
The Venezuelan nationals were interviewed by ASP Rampersad and an Immigration Officer and taken for a medical examination.
The Venezuelans told ASP Rampersad they usually fish to feed their families.
Cpl Daniel is continuing enquiries.