PORT-OF-SPAIN – CONCRETE louvers will be installed at the South East Port-of-Spain Secondary School (SEPOS).
The announcement from Education Minister Anthony Garcia comes months after a stray bullet that was fired during a gang warfare in the area entered a classroom.
Speaking at a news conference on Friday at his Ministry, Garcia said, “Towards the end of last year teachers were in uproar over the fact that a bullet entered the classroom much to the fear of students and teachers and as a result teachers in defence of their safety decided they were not going to work under these conditions.”
Permanent Secretary in the Education Ministry Kurt Meyer said, “Basically what we’ve done is put concrete louvres on the north and eastern blocks and fourth, third and second floor because the north block is where the projectile came from.”
Garcia said this school was among three which will not be opened at the beginning of the new term next week.
The other schools were the Couva West Secondary School and the Edinburgh Government Primary School.
The Education Minister said over 77 million dollars had been spent on repair works in 2019 but due to the scopes of work at the three schools, more time was needed to make them ready for occupation.