FEWER people are coming forward to take swab samples for Covid-19 says Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram.
Speaking during the Ministry of Health’s virtual media conference on Wednesday, Parasram said over the past two weeks, there has been a decrease in the number of swab samples.
He said, “We swab people that present to us with viral symptoms, at the health centres and primary health care setting, that is at hospitals and emergency departments. Last week there were about 450 per day for the entire week, while weeks prior to that were 6-700. In August and middle of September it was a little bit higher almost 1000 per day at its maximum. We are trying to swab as many people as we can. Once they come in with any viral symptoms no matter how mild they may be. There has been a decrease in number of swabs consequent on the number of viral illnesses that are being seen.”
The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported two additional deaths. The two deaths are two elderly females, one with comorbidities and the other with pre-existing medical conditions. The death toll related to Covid-19 now stands at 76.
And 68 additional persons have tested positive for the virus.
Number of Samples submitted to the Caribbean Public Health Agency, the University of the West Indies testing site at Mt Hope and other local sites: 31,218
Number of people tested: 27,914
People having more than one test: 3,063
Positive samples in public and private facilities in TT: 4,531
Active Covid-19 cases: 1,882
Number of Deaths: 76
Discharges from public health facilities: 1,057
Recovered Community cases: 1,503