AZP News

" All the News You Need from A to Z and then Some"

PM Defends Decision Not to Inform Public about Radar

Spread the love

PRIME Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar has sought to  defend her decision not to inform the country as to the installation of US radar systems in Tobago even as she criticised the former administration for  leaving the borders of Trinidad and Tobago exposed.

Earlier this week, Persad Bissessar, denied that the US presence on Tobago was for military purposes saying “they are helping us with something to do at the (Arthur NR Robinson International) airport” and that their presence had something to do with a roadway near the airport.

“It is is not a military force as such. We are not about to launch any campaign against Venezuela.”

https://www.facebook.com/SSPersadSupermarket

But she has now acknowledged that she kept the real  reason for the US military presence here a secret, saying “since it is a sensitive national security issue which provides for the protection of our territory and citizens, I did not think it was wise on Wednesday outside the Parliament to publicly broadcast to narco and human traffickers as well as other criminals that we were installing a radar.

“It would be counterproductive to our citizens’ safety,” she told the local media, adding that the “security advantage has been lost” now that the upgrades have been exposed to local and transnational criminals.

“The radar is for real-time monitoring and surveillance of our air and sea territory. When we entered government, we found an existing radar system that was functioning sporadically and inefficiently and did not provide cover for our entire territory.

“Our Coast Guard could not even access data in real time, in addition to the system being compromised. I requested assistance for the supply of a radar system from the US Embassy on a temporary basis until we could get a permanent replacement for the existing system,” she told the local  media, reiterating that “the radar is solely for the monitoring and surveillance of our territory. The radar is not for use in any action in Venezuela.”

On Friday, the Office of the Chief Secretary (OCS) of the Tobago House of Assembly said it was seeking full clarification from the government regarding the installation of the radar system at the ANR Robinson International Airport.

In a media release, the OCS confirmed that U.S. personnel have been carrying out works at the airport, including the installation of a radar system designed to strengthen surveillance capabilities.

However, Chief Secretary Farley Augustine said he only learned of the Prime Minister’s confirmation after completing a live interview late Wednesday.

https://www.facebook.com/cxc.masters

Augustine reaffirmed Tobago’s neutral stance and emphasised that while foreign policy decisions fall under the purview of the Central Government, the THA’s priority is the island’s stability and security. He said he has since spoken with the Prime Minister and requested full details on the project.

The US had originally intended to set up  a radar system at the Maurice Bishop International Airport in Grenada, but the authorities in St. George’s did not meet Washington’s deadline saying it was still awaiting “a technical report” on the project, even as some Grenadians staged protest action against the pending installation of the radar system.

Brahma Kumaris, mental health

Persad-Bissessar has been very supportive of the United States military  action against the illegal drugs trade in the  Caribbean, even though Washington has come under international criticism over the deaths of alleged narco-traffickers in international waters.

She is on record as saying that that those involved in the illegal  drugs trade should be killed “violently.”

Political observers say that the US war on drugs in the region is a pretext for seeking to oust the Nicolas Maduro government in Venezuela, which has itself criticised the Persad-Bissessar government of allowing her country to be used to carry ot regime change in he South American country.

Earlier this week, US President Donald Trump  said that land strikes against Venezuela will start “very soon.” (CMC)

Loading

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *