THE Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC) is investigating the death of a man who was moving a bamboo pole on his property.
On Wednesday, T&TEC stated that around 2pm the same day, Ramdath Ramlochan, 57, of SS Erin Road, Charlo Village, Penal, was moving the pole on his property when the bamboo made contact with T&TEC’s 132 kV transmission line and he fell to the ground.
Relatives said Ramlochan, a devout Hindu, was moving a jandhi (a prayer flag) near to his prayer room when the incident happened.
A witness informed his relatives, who then contacted the police.
He was later pronounced dead on the site by the District Medical Officer.
T&TEC stated that senior officials and estate police from T&TEC visited the scene and expressed sympathy to Ramlochan’s relatives.
T&TEC stated, “Injury to members of the public under such circumstances is an ongoing concern for T&TEC. We wish to use this opportunity to again remind persons to be vigilant and perform necessary safety checks when working around overhead lines. Keep ladders, scaffolding, roof beams, oversized materials of any type and body parts at least 15 feet from electricity poles and lines. Coming into contact with, or close to, overhead lines can cause electric shock or electrocution (death).”