THE Ministry of Health says there have been 24 confirmed deaths from the influenza flu.
In its weekly flu update, it said it engaged in a robust nationwide influenza vaccination drive for the 2020 Flu Season (October 2019 to May 2020).
This campaign has been implemented to protect the population against the Influenza (Flu) Virus.
As of Friday November 29 2019, the Health Ministry Stated:
- The cumulative number of vaccines administered to the public for this flu season – 24,797;
- The number of suspected influenza cases for the year – 2919;
- The number of confirmed influenza deaths for this flu season – 24.
It also noted that people in the following groups were particularly vulnerable to the virus and are urged to get the flu vaccine:
- Children aged 6 months to 5 years;
- Pregnant women;
- Adults over 65;
- People with chronic medical conditions (such as Diabetes Mellitus);
- People with chronic respiratory illnesses (such as Asthma).
Persons in the health care workforce and essential services are also encouraged to get the flu vaccine, the release noted.